Copyright, Licensing, and Usage Terms
At POW we maintain ownership over the copyright. We grant our customers worldwide, unlimited usage rights for an unlimited amount of time, in an unlimited amount of mediums and alterations for promotional and advertising usage of the company that made the order. This is the most usage that can be given and it is included in the price.
Copyright can be a confusing and complicated legal subject. Here are some basic tips regarding your POW photos:
- When you purchase photography through POW, you aren’t purchasing the copyright to the images; you are purchasing worldwide, unlimited usage rights to the photos.
- Without owning the copyright, you are only restricted from selling the copyright of the images to others and filing a lawsuit against those that use the images without permission. You can still file cease and desist orders and DMCA takedown orders without a copyright transfer.
- If you feel that you still need the copyright we do sell the copyright for an additional $20 per image. Federal lawsuits are immensely costly in terms of money and time, so they aren’t the most common solution to image theft; because of this, most of our customers find they do not need to purchase the copyright.
- Please note that if you do choose to purchase the copyright from us, we do not register the copyright through the US copyright office; this is a separate step.
- If you would like to register the copyright after purchasing it from us, you may do so through the US copyright office.
If you are mostly concerned about us sharing the images, we are more than happy to agree to not share them on our website or with anyone. At your request, we are happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement for the images which will legally protect you. We are more concerned about you having a positive experience with us than we are with using your product images.
Additional Information: http://ftp.asmp.org/articles/working-assignment-photographer.html